Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ninfa's green Sauce


I just read from Homesick Texan that Houston is the only city that serves up green sauce...can that be? I guess I assumed my whole life that the whole world fed their babies this stuff. So Now I have to go ahead and post the recipe even before I make it so that all ya'll in Dallas or Tempe, Kansas City, Seattle or New York can poke around to find some tomatillos.

Ninfa’s Green Sauce Ingredients:

3 medium-sized green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (you can substitute yellow if you can’t find green ones, but never use red)

4 tomatillos, cleaned and chopped

1 to 2 jalapenos, stemmed and coarsely chopped

3 small garlic cloves

3 medium-sized ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced

4 sprigs cilantro1 tsp. of salt

1 1/2 cups of sour cream


Combine chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to a boil (tomatoes provide the liquid), reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.Remove from heat and let cool slightly.Place tomato mixture with the avocados, cilantro and salt in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.Pour into a bowl and stir in sour cream.Makes 4 to 5 cups


This recipe is Ninfa's, but I found it on gorgeous Homesick Texan's website. She has awesome Texan faves. I think she lives in NY now, which makes sense...homesick!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter